Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Delicious Start to Fall Meals




I envy those people with cat-like reflexes that are able to catch a glass of milk that is teetering dangerously on the edge of a table, but I never understood why people try to catch the glass of milk after it's already fallen.  You know what I'm talking about.  It's 2 seconds from shattering all over the floor and you jut your arm out there as if your reaction is quicker than gravity.

Well, folks.  That's what happened to me.  For a split second I thought I was Flash, with superhuman reflexes that defied laws of physics, as I reached my hand out to catch my apple cider vinaigrette falling from the counter.  Before I even moved, I knew I couldn't catch it, but reaching for it seemed more plausible than standing there like an oaf.  Needless to say, it ended up all over the floor, but I was able to salvage enough for one last salad with my not-so-cat-like reflexes before the entire contents of the broken jar spilled out.

So, unfortunately, I do not have a photo of this sweet & tangy vinaigrette, but I do have a recipe.  So I'm urging you to make this.  Trust me.  Along with the salad.  Apples + Gorgonzola?  Yes please.  In the past two days I've eaten this salad twice and made a grilled gorgonzola & apple sandwich.  What is it with me and apples + cheese?  Probably the fact that the combination is epic.  Yes.  You read correctly.  E.P.I.C.  Or it could be the fact that I have nothing else in my fridge, so I'm just throwing stuff together and hoping it tastes edible. 


Spinach & Apple Salad
-serves 1

2 handfulls of washed fresh baby spinach
1/2 red delicious apple, thinly sliced
gorgonzola cheese
candied pumpkin seeds
apple cider vinaigrette (recipe below)

This makes a large salad.  I'm normally not a person who orders salad anywhere... unless it come with a steak and baked potato, but this was definitely a filling lunch.  If you're only making one salad like I did, put some peanut butter on the rest of those apple slices - it makes a really great side to the salad.



Apple Cider Vinaigrette
-makes 1 1/2 cups

1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1/4 c Motts Melody Apple (I'm sure if you use apple juice it will taste the same, it's just all I had on hand)
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 c olive oil

In a bowl, whisk the vinegar, apple juice, brown sugar, chili powder and ground cinnamon until the brown sugar dissolves.  Continue whisking as you slowly add the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Favorites More