Friday, October 14, 2011

Perfecting Pancakes



Boy, have I been busy lately.  I recently switched careers and I've been pulling in numerous hours of training + work.  As much as I'd love to have delicious food photos for you, there just isn't enough daylight in a day -
although I'm going to try my hardest to get as many photos/posts up as possible.  I definitely have some amazing recipes coming your way - including some that are Asian-inspired.  I recently found a local Asian market, which has everything I could possibly need + classes.  I signed up for the sushi-making class.  Go me!

Now onto this post's recipe.  Peanut Butter & Jelly Pancakes.  I've been on a pancake kick lately and here's the reason why:  when my husband and I had first moved in together, I was making him extremely intricate recipes.  One Saturday he asked me if we could have simple pancakes for our Sunday brunch, and I agreed, although I had never actually made pancakes before.  Complete disaster.  I remember, vividly, after flipping my "burning" pancakes, throwing my raw-batter covered spatula across the kitchen.  I was not a happy camper.  It was my second attempt that morning.  For some reason the outer part of my pancakes were burning but the center was still raw batter.  So, I turned the heat on my stove down.  They didn't cook at all.  After that Sunday morning, I vowed never to make pancakes again.  My husband eventually bought me a waffle maker for my birthday.  So, since living together, Sunday mornings have been filled with waffles.  Don't get me wrong, I love waffles, but sometimes you just need to mix it up.  So, while my husband has been on his little deployment (little, ha, more like 9 extremely long months),  I've made pancakes for myself every Saturday morning.  I am going to perfect them.  Seriously.  And then I'll cook my husband as many as he wants.  And he'll want a ton of these.  Because - honestly - they are the bees knees.  (Ha, I love that saying.)

Peanut butter whole wheat pancakes, slathered with strawberry jam, topped with a creamy peanut butter sauce.  Who wouldn't want to make these every day for the rest of their lives?  I probably would if I didn't like skinny jeans so much.


Peanut Butter and Jelly Pancakes
serves 2

3/4 c whole wheat flour
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 c almond milk
3 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. 

In a liquid measuring cup, measure your milk & add the peanut butter and vanilla.  Whisk until the peanut butter is incorporated into the milk.  Add to the dry ingredients and mix until a batter is formed, but do not overmix.

Lightly oil a nonstick pan over medium heat.  Using a 1/4 measuing cup, scoop the batter into the pan.  Cook until golden brown on both sides.

Spread strawberry (or whatever flavor your prefer) jam on your pancakes, instead of butter.  Pour peanut butter sauce over top  (Microwave a few tablespoons of peanut butter until creamy.).  Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Favorites More